Adverts

Adverts

• Index
  •  » the family
  •  » Theres a newsreel clip from the 1930s or 40s, where radio and televisi

#1 2018-02-11 11:15:24

ying1993

Theres a newsreel clip from the 1930s or 40s, where radio and televisi

Theres a newsreel clip from the 1930s or 40s, where radio and television personality Bill Slater is voicing over black and white footage of baseball teams reporting to spring training. At one point, with a sparkle in his voice, he says, And here come the Chicago Cubs! Its gonna be a hot race this year -- youre not going to win, but you dont know it yet.More than 80 years later, the joke still holds. For so long its been safe to assume that the Cubs are about as likely to win the World Series as Wile E. Coyote is to catch that damn roadrunner. Across all cities and all sports, the Cubs are the most famous losers that ever were.But maybe, just maybe, by the end of this month they wont be losers anymore.Ive spent all season trying not to get ahead of myself. Just two years ago I was celebrating baby steps in the form of a record above .500. Last year the Cubs eked into the playoffs, scored a win over the Pirates and upset the rival Cardinals to advance to the NLCS. It didnt even hurt all that much when they were swept by the Mets. The impossibly young squad was playing with house money. They were at least a year ahead of schedule and their deep postseason run just served to get long-suffering Cubs fans excited for 2016.So this year when they won 24 of their first 30 games, I tried my best to stay in the moment and enjoy the ride without looking too far ahead to what might be.But now that the division has been clinched (by a whopping 17.5 games!), home-field advantage secured and 100 wins achieved, I have no choice but to face the music. Its October and all the home runs, shutouts, walk-offs and wins go out the window. No matter who the Cubs face in Game 1 of the NLDS on Friday night, both teams will need three wins to advance.Now, anything less than a World Series win will be a disappointment. Theres incredible excitement heading into their opening series, but also a tremendous amount of anxiety. Just the other day my stomach dropped when I saw an ad featuring playoff footage from last year, fans going nuts at Wrigley waving rally towels. Oh god. Its here.Id like to rest easy knowing how good theyve been all season, but Ive already seen too many stats arguing that they might be too good. Only twice in the last 25 postseasons has the team with sole possession of baseballs best record gone on to win it all. And of the 15 teams that have won 100 or more games in the regular season since 2000, only one went on to win the World Series. I can feel my heart beating faster as I type this.No matter what happens this October, the Cubs are on the right track. Theyre full of young talent, theyve got a great manager and the mastermind behind it all, Theo Epstein, just signed a five-year contract extension. But even as I try to convince myself that a loss wouldnt be the end of the world, I know deep down theres always next year just doesnt feel right this time around.So whenever my brain starts to fill up with worst-case scenarios, I have to remind myself that this team is not the Cubs of old. We cant saddle these guys with the struggles of their predecessors. There are no curses, just bad outings, sleepy bats and bungled double plays by Alex Gonzalez.This time will be different. This is the year! Im gonna embrace every second of October baseball with confidence and enthusiasm ... and a medic on standby. Cheap Air Max 95 Sale . A knee to the thigh might have stung him the most, but his sixth straight double-double made up for the brief burst of pain. Air Max 95 Black . With their top three point guards and Kobe Bryant all sidelined by injury, the Lakers signed Marshall out of the D-League on Friday before their home game against Minnesota. http://www.cheapairmax95freeshipping.com/ . Hamelin, who triumphed in the 500 on Saturday, edged out Victor An of Russia by 0.021 seconds to maintain his lead in the World Cup standings. Russias Vladimir Grigorev was third. In the relay, Canada took control six laps from the finish line to beat Russia and the Netherlands. Discount Air Max 95 .Y. - Rob Manfred was promoted Monday to Major League Baseballs chief operating officer, which may make him a candidate to succeed Bud Selig as commissioner. Air Max 95 2018 .J. -- New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz will miss the rest of the season after having surgery on his left knee. Alex Glenn has welcomed Brisbanes shock recruitment of Benji Marshall and reckons theres no doubt the NRL veteran has still got it.Marshall has joined the Broncos after coach Wayne Bennett had offered the 31-year-old - unwanted by St George Illawarra - the chance to extend his career with a cut-price one-year deal.The decision has been widely viewed as a gamble by Bennett but Glenn, Marshalls former New Zealand Test teammate, believes it is a wise move.I was surprised and excited at the same time, he said.Ive been privileged to play with him in the Kiwi (team) and hes got a lot of experience and hes done it all.Him coming to our club, I know hes going to give a lot of guidance to some of our younger players.Hes been in the game for a long time; hes done nothing but positive things. Hes going to be a great mentor for our team.Marshalls signing, which has not yet been ratifieed by the NRL but is expected to be rubber-stamped soon, has increased speculation Ben Hunt could be off to Parramatta when his Broncos contract expires at the end of 2017.ddddddddddddFor the time being at least, Marshall will serve as playmaking back-up to Hunt and halves partner Anthony Milford, while also providing depth in the centres and at fullback.Glenn, who is recovering from shoulder surgery this week that will restrict his pre-season training involvement until after the New Year, says Marshall is still capable of carving out a position in Brisbanes best-choice 17.Hes still got it. Hes still got that passion to play some quality football and I know hes not going to give up, he said.Hes at a new club. Hes got a lot to prove - hell rip in. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

2018-02-11 11:15:24

AdBot
Advertisements
  • Index
  •  » the family
  •  » Theres a newsreel clip from the 1930s or 40s, where radio and televisi

Adverts

Board footer